CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 2, 2010

Just a Little Prick and a Picnic

Well, we had a couple interesting events this last week.  On Thursday, Reagan had her first round of immunizations.  Before this she had some shots in the hospital and some blood tests run by pricking her feet, but this was the first time we had to actually hold her down and endure the cries of a trusting but confused and now hurting baby.  Everyone who’s had to be there when their child gets those shots knows what I’m talking about.  We were old pros by now having gone through this a bunch of times with Tyler, but it still just makes your heart ache when that first startled screech comes bellowing out.  Then, in between cries, they just look at you like, “What did I do to deserve this?” and “Why would you do this to me?”  Of course, much like Tyler, she was done crying before we were – I mean, before Thesha was.  It was actually kind of interesting to see Tyler’s reaction though.  I think he was as confused as Reagan was – wondering what the crap was going on – but I think he was just glad that it wasn’t him with the sore leg this time.  We reminded him that his turn will be coming up once again in September when he goes in for his 2 year old visit, but I don’t think it sank in completely.  I’m sure it will sink in soon enough.

After Thursday’s good times, we spent Friday enjoying the “mandatory fun” of my work picnic.  It actually was kind of fun and it was better than a day sitting at my desk, so I really can’t complain.  Everyone was able to bring their families, so we got to meet the spouses and kids of a lot of my coworkers.  Reagan was a perfect little angel and just sat there looking as cute as ever and Tyler was able to run and play and completely wear himself (and us) out.  He doesn’t get to do that as much as he would like since we’re just in the little apartment, so it’s always fun when he’s able to get out of the house.

My favorite part of the picnic was when Tyler walked over and started holding the hand of the daughter of one of the guys I work with.  The girl (who was several years older, by the way) just smiled as Tyler pulled her around to show her how he could kick the soccer ball or throw the baseball or whatever.  Then, as the girl’s dad (my coworker) started walking over towards them, Tyler let go of her hand and just walked away like nothing was going on, everything’s cool, just hanging out… what? 

I told my coworker what had happened and he just laughed.  I guess we can all just laugh for now, but about 10 – 12 years from now something tells me we won’t be quite so laid back with Tyler’s “innocent” hand-holding.  Don’t get me wrong, I pretty much know I deserve it for all the indiscretions of my youth, but I didn’t think it would be starting before he even turns 2 years old.  I mean, c’mon man, at least wait until you can say “hey, check this out” before you start showing off for the girls.  Oh well, what’cha gonna do.  (I mean besides teach him how to say, “hey, check this out.”)

1 comment:

  1. Are you in the process of getting a new family picture for the blog? Not that the one you have on now isn't darling,but we need to see all of you.

    ReplyDelete